Top 5 Outdoor Activities in Ballito
Outdoor activities can become repetitive, so why not change things up on your next beach trip? We have compiled the Beachfront Apartments Top 5 Outdoor Activities list to inspire you on your next vacation in Ballito! From surfing to early morning swims - we have all the details on the best local outdoor activities for you and your family in Ballito.
First on our list is surfing at the famous Willard Beach, home to the Ballito Pro! This year you can watch the pros taking to the waves between 29 June and 10 July. Whether you're and expert or a novice, Willard Beach welcomes you with warm water, great swells and a sandy shore. If you've never surfed before, The Ballito Surf School offers surfing lessons to anyone (aged 8 - 60 years) who are wanting to learn how to rides the waves. All you need to bring are swimming costumes and towels as they will provide you with surf boards, wax & wetsuits! You can book private, group, beginner and intermediate lessons to suit you and your travel parties needs.
Next up are Trail rides with Holla Trails. Located at Sugar Rush Park, A major attraction in and of itself! Sugar Rush boasts a very wide range of outdoor activities from music festivals and picnics to wine-tasting at Seventeen87, you are bound to have an adventure!
Holla Trails is a mountain biking and trail running trails system winding it's way through 42 working farms just outside Ballito and is made up of 340 km of marked trails. Both experienced and totally novice riders can experience the variety of trails and spectacular scenery. Holla is suitable for all level of rider - even children! Bicycles can be hired on-site, or you may bring your own.
Apart from running the Holla Trails, there are also numerous running clubs along the Dolphin Coast, you'll spot them on the beach! A few Salt Rock residents started the running group Salt Run. A group that runs along the Dolphin Coast every morning. Abilities ranging from beginners to advanced, so all are welcome!
Salt Run uses the Endomondo app to plan routes and runners can preview the route before the run and also follow it on their phones. They have made it accessible for anyone who just wants to be more active and it’s a great way to get into running.
We recommend checking out the Salt Run Facebook group for more info!
Next on the list are Early morning ocean swims... but don’t worry, they aren’t polar bear swims! Our ocean temperature remains comfortable - even in the winter time. If you’re wanting to enjoy the sunrise, we highly recommend taking a short stroll down to the beach from your beachfront apartment to take in the splendor. Our apartments have breaker views and the sunrise will be just-as-spectacular from your balcony!
Next up: What’s a beach vacation without a little golf?
The Dolphin Coast is home to a number of challenging golf courses, each one offering a unique golfing experience. Our 5 top courses to visit are:
1) Simbithi Country Club- This 18-hole golf course is the first US-style executive course in South Africa. Simbithi has a par of 60 and is made of par 3s, par 4s, and one par 5. The layout of the course is designed in a way to make sure you use every club in your bag and enjoy a truly challenging round of golf. The Fig Tree Restuarant at the club is also a great place to visit to recap after your game!
2) Zimbali Country Club - The Zimbali Country Club golf course features magnificent views of the natural forests and ocean. You can hire golf carts and clubs at this 18-hole course. Note: they do have a strictly enforced dress-code of collared shirts that are tucked into trousers or knee-length shorts. Definitely recommended if you enjoy the classic golfing experience!
3) Umhlali Country Club This 18-hole golf course features is surrounded by indigenous bush. The flat terrain makes this a great place to play for golfers of every level. Umhlali Country Club features a Pro Shop and Driving Range. Also found here are squash courts, tennis courts, and bowls at the clubhouse if you’re up for another game!
4) Prince’s Grant This visually stunning 18-hole golf course features views of the Indian Ocean. You can book your tee-off times, golf clubs, caddies, and golf cart hire online for this course. The Prince’s Grant golf course has won the Compleat Golfer 5 Star Experience Award on numerous occasions. The course is a 20-minute drive from Ballito along the N2 freeway.
5) Durban Country Club The Durban Country Club is the only course in Africa to be rated in the top 100 golf courses in the world by Golf Magazine USA. This course was built on sand dunes which provide unique undulations that are challenging to golfers of every level. Enjoy views of the city of Durban, the Indian Ocean, and coastal bush as you make your way around the 18-holes.
That marks the end of the Beachfront Apartments Top 5 Outdoor activities list! We hope you enjoy exploring and adventuring on your next beach trip! After a hard-days adventuring, come back home to your beachfront apartment and enjoy the breaker views from the comfort of your own balcony!